Now that Summer is winding down and cold weather’s on the way, it’s time to start thinking about weatherproofing your home. In addition to keeping your home comfortable and protected from the elements, weatherproofing is also a great way to keep your home pest-free. Here, we’ll outline how you can get your home ready for the Winter and keep pests outside, where they belong.
5 Things You Can Do To Weatherproof Your Home
Whether you do it yourself or call professionals, like the licensed, fully insured Handyman Services at OPC, these are some effective ways to weatherproof your home:
- Seal your doors and windows. Air leaking into your house raises your energy bills and gives pests an easy way in. To see if you have a draft, light a candle and move it around the frames of your doors and windows. If it flickers, you have a draft coming in. Make sure to seal drafty spots with caulk or weather stripping.
- Install insulation. Insulating your attic and basement is one of the best things you can do to keep heating and cooling costs down. At OPC, our professionals can take care of that for you with T·A·P blow-in insulation.
- Use door draft stoppers. Either buy them or make them yourself and place along the bottom of your outside doors to keep air from getting in.
- Weatherstrip your house. Sealing the gaps around your doors and windows, including the garage, can help you save money on energy bills and keep your home comfortable.
- Clean your gutters. If your gutters are filled with leaves and other debris, they won’t drain properly. At OPC, we can clean your gutters and install gutter guards that prevent buildup.
Installing T•A•P® Pest Control Insulation Protects Your Home from Pests, Saves Energy, and Reduces Noise
Have you checked your attic lately? Do you know if your insulation has the proper R-value rating? R-value (Resistance-Value) is the amount by which any insulation product slows the flow of heat. The higher the R-value, the better your insulation. TAP (Thermal, Acoustical, Pest Control) Insulation is a thermally and acoustically superior insulation product with a good R-value. When it comes to saving money on your energy bills, TAP serves as a blanket for your home when installed in your attic. The cellulose fibers interconnect to stop airflow and trap heat. It’s also environmentally sensitive while permanently controlling pests that nest in attics and walls like roaches, ants, termites, and silverfish.
If you want to save money on your energy bills and keep pests out of your home, let the professionals at OPC Handyman Services install TAP Pest Control insulation in your home before the cold weather starts.
What’s Pest Exclusion and How is it Related to Weatherproofing?
Pest exclusion is an environmentally friendly, integrated form of pest management that involves sealing the gaps, routs, and pathways that pests use to access your home. The same things that OPC does to keep the weather out can also keep your home pest-free. Our professionals use these steps during pest exclusion:
- We inspect your home and identify any gaps, routs, and pathways that are present.
- We seal off the gaps, paths, and pathways with sealing products that last.
- We check airflow and water drainage.
- We minimize any external bridges that give pests easy access to your home, such as overhanging branches.
Interested in Weatherproofing, TAP Pest Control Insulation, or Pest Exclusion? Call OPC for a Free Estimate!
If you’re ready to weatherproof your home, save money on energy bills, and keep your home pest-free, we’re here to help! Call 800-964-PEST today for a FREE estimate!