You don’t have to be in the food handling business to experience flies in your workplace. No matter what you do, flies are stubborn pests that can damage your business’ image and cost you money if you lose customers because of their presence. To stop flies, you need to know what kind of flies you have and how they’re getting in. Here are the types of flies that are most likely to be found in your place of business:
- House flies. Common house flies are often found in retail and office environments, but they’re more likely to be an occasional invader than a full-time resident. Watch out for open doors, which can be an entrance point.
- Fruit flies. If your employees leave fruit, vegetables, dirty dishes, and trash in the break room, those items could be attracting fruit flies. Fruit flies can also make their way in on shipments of fruits or vegetables.
- Drain flies. Drain flies lay eggs in waste drain lines or toilets that aren’t flushed regularly. If you find them in the bathroom, be careful because they can bring in pathogens from the sewer lines.
- Fungus gnats. Fungus gnats like damp soil and can come into your building in potted plants. Overwatering your plants can cause their eggs to hatch because of the excessive moisture.
- Phorid flies. Phorid flies thrive off decaying organic matter and can be an indication of a sewer line break below your building.
It’s important to note that fly activity isn’t only a problem in itself, but a symptom of a larger problem that needs to be addressed. If you notice any of the flies described above, contact a professional pest company, like OPC pest services, who can help you identify the source and create a plan to rid your business of flies.
Why Do I Have Fruit Flies in My Restaurant?
Those little fruit flies you may see buzzing around in your kitchen have a lot of ways in and they aren’t all linked to the hygiene of your restaurant. Fruit fly eggs are microscopic and can be shipped in on many food and non-food items found in most restaurants. Flies can also make their way in through an open window or door. If you think you have fruit flies in your restaurant or foodservice business, it might be time to call the professionals at OPC Pest Services.
Where Do Fruit Flies Come From?
After years of studying fruit flies in restaurants, research shows that they breed extremely fast in hard-to-reach areas that can sneak up suddenly without showing any signs of warning. If you have a restaurant or a bar, you probably have a lot of things fruit flies like to eat. Their preferred diet includes sugary foods, beer, alcohol, garbage, and yeast.
Fruit Fly Identification
The key identifying feature of a fruit fly is its bright red eyes. The fruit fly is about a third of the size of a housefly. The body color is usually light yellow or tan.
What Can I do to Get Rid of Fruit Flies?
While there’s no shortage of do it yourself tips about getting rid of fruit flies, your best bet is to call a professional service like OPC. Our professionals will focus on the root cause of your infestation and create a plan designed to keep your business fly free!
At OPC, We Know That Small Flies Can Cause Big Problems
Fruit flies are prolific breeders that can initiate an infestation in a matter of days. OPC can defend you against fruit fly infestations and get rid of any current infestations you may have.
At OPC, our trained technicians will create a plan that may include:
- Removing adult flies to prevent future breeding
- Thorough inspections to identify all possible entry points and breeding, feeding, and resting sites
- Recommendations for eliminating breeding and feeding sites
- Treatment of adult fly resting areas
- Removal of any feeding material and treatment to break the reproduction cycle
Call OPC for a Free Estimate!
If you’re concerned about fruit flies in your business OPC Pest Services is here to help! Call 800-964-PEST today for a FREE estimate!